Friday, January 18, 2013

FEELIN STRONG NOW


Remember when Rocky was training with Apollo Creed for his bout with Clubber Lang?  Well, I can't seem to shake the theme song, "Eye of the Tiger" from my mind's soundtrack.  Every time I see Melissa I know she's got the eye.  She's fighting through pain and exhaustion.  Last night she didn't sleep much.  So she has trouble finishing sentences without her eyes drooping shut.  But her indomitable courage shines through anyway.  She says what she's going to do, even if it's a triumphant declaration of an upcoming trip to the bathroom.  She's willing to ask for what she needs.  Her sweetness is not the same as passivity.  She's on a mission to health, and wants to know just how much swing dancing she can do and what training she will need to incorporate into her life so she can get to her goal.  That's my girl.

Melissa's college friend Michelle flew in from New York just to see that Melissa was okay.  I don't know if that says Melissa is a world-class friend or Michelle is.  Or both.  I do know my heart was warmed to see Melissa's brothers Josh and Tim here all day and their tender goodbyes last night.  Mark Fogarty and Justin Jang, thanks.  You are good friends.  Sarah and Matt Moore have actually convinced me that giving up their bedroom while we are staying with them is a privilege and pleasure.  Melody Grauman, your surprise visit and lunch was nice.   Brandon, Laura, Rachel, Mike, Vicky, Jeanette, and Irene -- you drove and flew so far to be what nothing else can be -- true family.  Of course Melissa is recovering at turbo speed.  She's soaked in your love, and there's no greater salve.

Every time we feel your love and joy resonate back to us we get recharged.  Flashlight prayer warriors Nancy and Betty laughed aloud in celebration when they heard their prayers had been answered.  My dad could hardly speak for the relief he and mom felt upon hearing Dr. K's report.  And maybe your name isn't listed here.  Maybe you're one of those in Kenya, Australia, Pacific Islands, India, dozens of other states across the U.S. who have prayed and asked your friends to also.  You are holy family to us.  Thank you.  God heard.  Profuse appreciation to our kind God is the reasonable response.  I wonder what would happen if I looked for someone else to include in that love today?

No comments:

Post a Comment